For many households the kitchen is the center of the home and the hub of activity. Remodeling the kitchen can be a major undertaking. It is not just the expense, but also the inconvenience to the household that gives many homeowners pause when considering such an undertaking. In spite of this, homeowners continue to find good reasons to proceed with a kitchen remodel. Reasons for remodeling vary, and your neighbor may not share your top reason for the project. Here is Reef Builders Top Reasons why it’s a good idea to remodel these areas.
1. DETERIORATED AND/OR OUTDATED – The kitchen might simply be falling apart. Cracked tiles, peeling countertops, broken or missing cabinet doors and outdated appliances don’t inspire gourmet cooking or family gatherings. This situation screams remodel. On the other hand, the kitchen can be pristine yet outdated. If the kitchen says 1950s, but you want to live in the here and now, it is time to transform your retro kitchen environment into a room for the 21st century.
2. VALUE – 80%-125% RETURN ON YOUR KITCHEN AND BATH. With these kinds of “probable returns on the money you spend,” the highly respected Money Magazine ranked kitchens and baths as “the most cost-effective renovations” to undertake. Money goes on to say, “a modern kitchen is both a workplace and family room.” While impartial home appraisers advise spending no more than 15% of current house value for a new kitchen, Money suggests you “try to confine your spending to about 10%” should you wish to resell in the near future. Of course, these percentages are only guidelines and need to be adjusted according to local real estate values.
3. UPDATED KITCHENS SELL HOUSES – Homeowners often remodel their kitchens to increase the value or marketability of a property. A remodeled and attractive kitchen will appeal to prospective home buyers more than a boring and outdated one. Realtors have known this fact for years. That’s one reason why a remodeled kitchen or bath is frequently cited as a home’s major feature in a real estate ad. So if you choose to remodel a kitchen or bath in the coming months, and then decide to relocate in 2-3 years when the resale market has fully recovered, the chances of your house selling quickly at an optimum price are excellent. Plus you are assured of recovering your entire investment within this time period, if not actually making some additional money, all the while enjoying your updated home.
4. ENERGY SAVINGS – Energy savings might be the prime motivation for a kitchen remodel. Adding skylights brings in more sunshine, reducing the need for artificial light. Energy-efficient appliances and solar water heaters cut the utility bill and place less stress on the environment.
5. LIFESTYLE – The kitchen layout may have worked great for the previous homeowner, but not for you. Perhaps it lacks a breakfast bar, and your family wants to gather informally in the kitchen to enjoy coffee or grab a quick meal without going to the dining room table. Whatever the reason, one motivation for a kitchen remodel is to arrange the room to best suit the family’s needs.
6. SPECIAL NEEDS- It is sometimes necessary to remodel the kitchen to better accommodate the needs of disabled family members. For example, if someone in the family is in a wheelchair or no longer able to reach high cupboards, a remodel can make the room more usable.
7. FINANCIAL INCENTIVES – Still not sure if you want to remodel? Fortunately, right now there are energy-saving rebates offered by government entities, vendors with incentives at home improvement centers, cash rebates for trading in outdated appliances, as well as remodeling grants and low- or no-interest loans.
8. CHANGE – Some homeowners simply want change. The current kitchen might be functional, updated and attractive, yet no longer appeal to the homeowner.
9. HOME IMPROVEMENT TV – Watching home improvement shows on cable television inspires many homeowners to remodel their kitchens. They may never have considered such a project until a home improvement program showed them the possibilities for their kitchen.
10. GOURMET KITCHEN – For homeowners who enjoy preparing fancy meals and consider themselves gourmet cooks, the prime reason for a remodel is the desire to create a dream kitchen. A gourmet kitchen with state of the art amenities accommodates the chef’s needs.