Design-Build the Reef Builders way
What is Design-Build?
Remodeling a kitchen or bath, renovating an entire home, adding an addition, or building a home from the ground up can be a mysterious and daunting process. Most people remodeling or building a new home are venturing into the largest personal financial commitment they have ever made. In order to make the dream a reality, most projects will require many suppliers and subcontractors and involve hundreds to thousands of work hours. Every simple task must build upon another to complete the final structure that you will call home. Many processes go into just the construction portion. There are many more hours and different skills needed to design and build. Wouldn't you want the same team working on the design, implementation and delivery of your project?
Design-build, design-bid-build and construction management are the three project delivery systems most commonly employed in North America. Over the past 15 years, use of design-build has greatly accelerated in the United States, making this delivery method one of the most significant trends in design and construction today.Design-build is a project methodology also known as design/construct and single-source responsibility. Across the country and around the world, design-build successfully delivers office buildings, schools, stadiums, and transportation and water infrastructure projects with superior results. Design-build is an alternative to design-bid-build and the traditional three bid process. Under both approaches design, bid, and construction are all split into separate entities, separate contracts, and separate work that a homeowner must try to understand and manage, which typically creates frustration, stress, and confusion for the client. Design-bid-build and the three bid process seldom produce the desired results that a homeowner wants and deserves. This is why Reef Builders has chosen to redefine the design-build process to make it easier, more efficient, and more client friendly.
What is Reef Builders’ Design-Build Process?
Reef Builders’ design-build methodology of project delivery is based solely on the one-entity management methodology of design-build, but with a more logical progression that is focused on client experience, trust, and enjoyment for the process. By doing these things it allows for a greater more valuable client experience. The Reef Builders process is one in which one integrated design-build team works with the project owner to provide Preconstruction services and building services on two separate contracts. While not traditional, our experience has shown that it allows for a less stressful and more systematic way to develop a client’s vision, without the need to commit to a full design-build contract worth hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars. By eliminating that stress from the client and the design-build team, everyone can focus solely on the design, project costing, scope, and construction timelines.
At Reef Builders, we pride ourselves on building personal relationships with our clients to understand what their vision is for their project. Following several comprehensive design discussions to understand the current state and the desired end state, Reef Builders begins to draft detailed plans of the client’s vision. Clients can experience difficulty visualizing a concept, without something tangible. From our years of experience we have found a detailed set of documents is mandatory for a successful client experience and allows Reef Builders to accurately scope and cost their project. Using our experience and in close partnership with our client, key sub-contractors, and others, we then continue to develop the plans and vision, until we deliver the right layout and functionality that matches our clients expectations. This vision includes floor plans, drawings, structural and civil engineering, 2D elevations, 3D renderings of kitchens and baths, material selections, an accurate budget, a detailed construction schedule, and finally building permits.
Upon completion of the Preconstruction phase the team naturally evolves into the build portion of the project, which is a completely separate contract for the build, but with the added value of knowing you have a detailed approved set of plans to build from, accurate job costing, a solid construction schedule, and most importantly the integrated team that developed them is now building the vision. At the end of the day, this allows for a smoother build, zero or minimal change ordering, an assurance we are building want you envisioned, and that the vision will be delivered.
What differentiates Reef Builders’ from other builders?
- Concierge-level services in partnership with our stable of design showrooms, which allows for a more relaxing and enjoyable design process.
- Formally educated owners, who have worked in the trades themselves serving as experts to your project.
- Real people who care about quality, service, and doing things the right way with over 100 years of building experience within the core members, which means quality and doing things right is delivered to your project every time even when your away.
- Company culture of continuing education from owners to employees, resulting in increased efficiency, expertise, and experience.
- Technology-driven build process using the latest design software, which allows for your vision and concept to be rendered before your eyes, even before we start to build.
- Use of online project management software that allows for real-time updates, budget tracking, and enhanced client communication through the Reef Builders client portal, that allows for transparency and trust in what we are doing for you whether you are on vacation or out of state.
The Reef Builders’ Design-Build advantage
- Faster Delivery — collaborative project management means work is completed faster with fewer problems.
- Cost Savings — an integrated team is geared toward efficiency.
- Better Quality — design-builders meet performance needs, not minimum design requirements, often developing innovations to deliver a better project than initially imagined.
- Singular Responsibility — one entity is held accountable for cost, scheduling and performance.
- Decreased Administrative Burden — owners can focus on the project rather than managing disparate contracts.
- Reduced Risk — the design-build team assumes additional risk.